Thursday 3 October 2019

HUMANS SPEAK IN STORY

It's been a very very long while since I did a post, but its about time I make this a regular habit, so stay tune.

Recently I have been helping my former tutor Tony with this year's intake, coming in on Friday and reviewing the work to crown campaign of the week.

But coming out of the class I myself am still learning, and thats the wonderful thing about teaching, you as a creative improve as well, its a sharing progress.

And what I learnt from critiquing the work of the students is from the copy side, about being more emotional with what you write.

This is beneficial for me as an art director, because its kind of an advantage to be on both sides of the fence as a creative, knowing the tricks of the trade of a copywriter while drawing your pretty pictures, you don't need to rely on people so much, and it takes pressure off your partner.

I also sometimes think its extremely valuable especially when your writer is sick or on holiday.

Now I have always been disconnected about the emotional tone of voice of advertising, being such a literal individual in language (autism) I would ask what do you mean emotional and how would tackle that in a medium?

Emotional can be anything that talks about human interaction/feeling of a product/service, but also it can be how humanity tells stories about their experiences, and storytelling is a way to tackle emotion in advertising, because as humans we listen to stories and learn and grow through stories.

This makes it the most powerful form of copywriting because humanity is our audience, but people seem to forget that.

A lot of copy can be vague, robotic, filled with facts and figures we don't understand or give two shits about, but telling it though story we can progress that information, like we progress the moral lesson of a fable, or in our case the audience progresses the message of the product/service we are selling.

And to conclude this post quickly before I waffle on, I believe that storytelling is the secret to speaking to humans and not suits, speak story, because HUMANS SPEAK IN STORY.

I'll leave you with some classic examples that can better explains this, so you can hone your craft to storytelling whatever you sell.








No comments:

Post a Comment