Wednesday 3 July 2019

TONY I WANT IN!

Over seven years ago I was sitting at the back of an empty studio space minding my own business, trying to rough out the perfect logo for one of many design modules, but I wasn't on my own for long.

In came a large class of the year above me, followed by an older student who had just came back from work experience, ready to finish his final year.

Everyone sat down as he began to talk about his interests that incidentally lead to his work experience.

I wasn't paying much attention to the talk as it was never intended for me, but as I was not getting anywhere with this perfect logo, I decided to take a break and listen in from the back.

The older student's name was Jolyon and he'd just finished work experience with an advertising agency based in London called VCCP.

I always found advertising a dirty word, a word that meant capitalism, money, suits in high rising skyscrapers and the cold calculated nature of making people buy shit they didn't really need.

But the more I listened in, the more it drove me away from that cynical concept.

Jolyon preached about ideas, ideas not just for commercial work, but ideas in general that make up all sorts of weird and wonderful things.

Thats what pulled me in ideas, not advertising but ideas, because thats the purist form of creativity, thats the starting point of most creative work, whether it be music, film, theatre, design, they all start with an idea, that intrigued me!

And then he said there was a course he was trying to break into, where this guy called Tony would teach you how to master this art, and get you a career doing it for a living.

But what sealed the deal was the challenge, Tony only wanted the best, the fastest thinkers, people with energy and passion, not talent, but energy and passion.

I have always been the impatient type I want to get things down on paper, made, and out the door, I couldn't keep sitting in front of a screen for hours deciding what was the right pantone colour for this particular logo, my best moments in the creative process was when I was coming up with the idea, and here was a course that centred around that, a course to test me whether I was actually good or if it was just all in my head, and if I succeeded I was guaranteed a placement and eventually a job in top agency in London.

After that I gave graphic design another crack, but Watford kept on ringing in my ears, I would keep looking at the site once every few days, it started to become an obsession, and eventually one day I dropped what I was doing in design and said 'I want to be a creative, Tony I want in!'.

If you feel the same click this link >

https://watfordadschool.blogspot.com/2019/05/watford-applications-for-seprtember.html

No comments:

Post a Comment